Machelle Shields has more than 20 years of experience in all aspects of compliance and ethics, privacy (HIPAA), and reimbursement support and strategy.
- Provides compliance and regulatory services to life science companies, including device/technology reimbursement strategy (coding, coverage, and payment)
- Advises on the infrastructure needs of start-up device companies and all aspects of compliance program design, operation, and implementation across the entire health care spectrum—physicians, hospitals, Medicare Advantage, device and pharmaceutical companies, and other health care providers
- Develops and implements fraud and abuse compliance programs for all areas of health care
- Performs monitoring and oversight for DPAs, CIAs, and corrective action plans
- Provides HIPAA/HITECH privacy, security, and compliance program implementation and support services
- Conducts compliance program assessments and Medicare/Medicaid readiness assessments
- Conducts compliance and privacy/security gap analyses and risk analyses
- Handles all aspects of monitoring, auditing, compliance diligence, and internal investigations
- Provides contract support services with a focus on compliance, regulatory, and federal and state privacy laws
- Advises on health care administration and compliance and academic medicine
- Drafts OIG advisory opinions
Prior to her joining EBG Advisors, Machelle was the Senior Executive Healthcare Policy and Compliance Advisor for the Health Law Practice of an international law firm, as well as the President of that firm’s wholly owned regulatory affiliate. Prior to that, she served as Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer for one of the world’s “top 10” medical device companies. During that time, she executed and implemented a Corporate Integrity Agreement (reimbursement focused) and laid the foundation for a second Corporate Integrity Agreement.
Machelle is a Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 Listed General Civil Mediator and a Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) Certified Medical Practice Executive. She has also been certified by the Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) in Compliance, Privacy, and Research Compliance, and holds three coding certifications from the AAPC and American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). She speaks regularly at industry meetings and is frequently a guest speaker at the University of Memphis School of Law regarding ethics and compliance.